No announcement yet.

What is a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa?

This topic is closed.
This is a sticky topic.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa?

    A K-1 fiance(e) visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows a U.S. citizen to petition for the one-time entry of an alien fiance to enter the U.S. for the purpose of marriage. From the time the alien enters the U.S. on the K-1 visa, she/he has 90 days to get married to the original petitioner. After marriage, the alien can adjust status from non-immigrant to lawful permanent resident. Once granted, the alien will be issued a conditional green card. With the green card, they are eligible to work in the U.S. legally, as well as leave and re-enter the country without the need for a visa. The conditions of the green card are that the alien stay married to the U.S. petitioner. After a period of time the conditional status of the green card can be removed through a removal of conditions process.

    What are the Requirements to be Eligible for a K-1 Fiance Visa?
    • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen. That means green card holders can't petition for a fiance visa.
    • The petitioner must prove you're free to and intend on marrying the alien. Prior marriages must be terminated legally.
    • You petitioner have met the alien in person. There are waivers available, yet rarely granted, for cases where the petitioner hasn't met the alien except for online.
    • The petitioner must meet the income requirements. This requirement varies depending on your household size and other factors. The alien's income doesn't matter.

Welcome to VisaCommunity!


Join Free Now

We welcome your input, questions and stories about immigration to the U.S. Here, you'll enjoy a pleasant community of helpful folks who are going through or have gone through the immigration process. Join for free today and don't go it alone.