No announcement yet.

What Methods are there to Obtain a Green Card Through Marriage?

This topic is closed.
This is a sticky topic.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Methods are there to Obtain a Green Card Through Marriage?

    The lawful permanent resident card, or green card, allows an alien to legally stay and work in the U.S. It also allows them to leave and re-enter the country without obtaining subsequent visas. The alien is also eligible to own property such as firearms, vehicles, and businesses, and can even obtain Social Security benefits (after working in the U.S. for at least 10 years. A green card can be obtained in several ways, but one of the most popular ways is through marriage. Often times, this is the quickest way too.

    1. Green Card Through Adjustment of Status

    K-1 Adjustment of Status: After an alien fiance(e) enters within a K-1 visa, they need to adjust status from non-immigrant to lawful permanent resident. This process is generally 5 months and grants the K-1 visa holder a green card.

    Tourist Visa or Visa Waiver Adjustment of Status: Another popular scenario is to marry a U.S. citizen while visiting as a tourist, then adjusting status and being granted permanent residency that way. Although much quicker, its only legal if the couple didn't come on a tourist visa with the pre-intention of getting married. This process takes around 5 months as well.

    2. Green Card Through Marriage Visa

    CR-1 / IR-1 Visa: When an alien enters the U.S. on a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, they are then eligible immediately for a green card, and it arrives only a few weeks later.

Welcome to VisaCommunity!


Join Free Now

We welcome your input, questions and stories about immigration to the U.S. Here, you'll enjoy a pleasant community of helpful folks who are going through or have gone through the immigration process. Join for free today and don't go it alone.