Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if i can renew for a green card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if i can renew for a green card?

Hi, I am currently 20 and I live in Canada.
    I have a 10 year green card, which will expire this coming December. I want to renew it but the thing is I am not sure if my application will be approved because I have been out of the US for more than 2 years, due to some family issues. I know that if I am out of the US for more than 1 year, the USCIS may deem my green card to be abandoned.
    The thing is I didn't know about the policy because I was only 14 when I had to leave the states(due to family issues), and my parents never helped me apply for a US passport( even though I have lived there for 5 years already). My family also didn't apply for a reentry permit.
    I was wondering if they would let me petition it because I really want to renew my green card, and I know I lost my chance of getting citizenship.
    I have been to the US since, but I have been entering through my Canadian passport.
    Any suggestions would help, thanks.

You can refer your questions here https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/B5en.pdf. I hope it can help.

Comment

Welcome to VisaCommunity!

Collapse

Join Free Now

We welcome your input, questions and stories about immigration to the U.S. Here, you'll enjoy a pleasant community of helpful folks who are going through or have gone through the immigration process. Join for free today and don't go it alone.
    Working...
    X