The CR-1 and IR-1 spousal visas are immigrant visas for the current spouse of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The difference between IR-1 and CR-1 is simply the amount of time the couple has been married. If they've been married less than 2 years, they'd apply for a CR-1 visa. The "CR" stands for "conditional resident", and the "IR" stands for "immediate relative". The conditions of the CR-1 visa are related to the marriage. After two years, an IR-1 visa is the option, and doesn't include conditions.

The CR-1/IR-1 visa includes the issuance of the green card, unlike the K-1 fiance(e) visa. This means as soon as the spouse enters the US, they are able to work and leave/re-enter the country without applying for further visas.

What are the Requirements to be Eligible for the CR-1/IR-1 Spousal Visa?
  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (although permanent residents processing time is much longer)
  • The petitioner and alien beneficiary must be legally married
  • Both parties must be 18 years or older
  • The alien must pass a medical exam
  • The petitioner must meet certain income requirements